Sunday, March 9, 2008

And henceforth, this weed shall be called Asparagus

Anyone who knows me also knows I prefer pizza, spaghetti, baked potatoes and steak to any thing healthy. I never try anything new, hate spicy and am perfectly comfortable with bland, as long as there is a lot of it. Vegetables were something Mom made me eat to satisfy some Nazi torture experiment carried over from WWII. Green beans and the occasional salad were as ‘veggie’ as I ever got. Never ate a pea voluntarily til a few weeks ago. Never ate a brown colored bean like pinto, bbq etc until recently. And I never ate the long phallic shaped vegetable known as asparagus until today.

Vic got a recipe from somewhere and made fresh asparagus on the stove tonight with dinner. I was starving the other day when I ate peas. I figured eating them was better than downing another glass of water. And believe it or not, I didn’t fall over and die like the wicked witch of the west when exposed to water. So I figured tonight, I’d expand my horizons and willingly added the oddly shaped growth to my plate. And you know what? I liked it. And so did 2 of my daughters. Gracie looked at it with the disgust one normally reserves for rat poop.

So here’s to Asparagus. A new vegetable entrĂ©e on my menu to a healthier me.

On other topics, I was up all night doing Daylight Savings Time monitoring. Finished preparing my reports and finally got into bed at 6:30am. Brain pretty much waxed all day.

And if that wasn’t enough, today was tax day for us. Time for us to document to the IRS what, when, where, why and how we earned our meager living and justify why they can’t keep all of it. In the end, we’ll get some of it back, but not enough. There are too many stupid, ignorant, wasteful, vote buying programs costing billions of dollars each year which have to be funded.

I’d also like to issue an alert to anyone in the Columbus, OH area. My cousin David got his learners permit and is now on the open road. After David’s first drive with his father Tom, I understand Tom had serious regrets about giving up alcohol for Lent.

Ok, enough for now. More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I too learned to like asparagus in my "older age" as I do not believe that it was on the short list of KY food that I was raised on. My kids love it too and it has been the favorite veggie of my immediate family for some time now. Try snow peas (in the pod) they are really good too, and also likely something that you were not raised. My son, David, has not been driving much because of the big snow storm last weekend, but look out because the snow is melting. I will keep you updated on his progress. From Your Cousin in Ohio, Suzanne